Portability Process

What is Portability

Portability is the process that allows an eligible Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) applicant or participant to move anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the federal HCV program.

Port Out Process

Portability Move Out (Port Out) is when an eligible family moves from Santa Clara County to another city or county.

If you wish to Port Out, you must contact your Housing Specialist in writing to advise of the request.

  • Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible.
  • Applicants must have received their voucher and lived in Santa Clara County when they registered on the waiting list.
  • Participants must be eligible to receive a voucher to move.
  • If eligible, your paperwork will be mailed or faxed to the new housing agency.
  • Once your paperwork is sent to the new agency, you must follow all their policies and rules.

Port In Process

Portability Move In (Port In) is when an eligible family moves from another city or county into Santa Clara County.

If you wish to Port In to Santa Clara County, you must contact your current housing agency.

  • Your current housing agency determines if you are eligible to move to Santa Clara County.
  • Portability paperwork can be sent by mail or faxed, see contact information below.
  • Once your portability paperwork is received, you will be contacted for an intake appointment.
  • After your paperwork is processed, you will be invited to a briefing appointment where you will receive your voucher.

Santa Clara County Housing Authority
Housing Programs Department
Attn: Incoming Portability
505 West Julian Street
San Jose, CA 95110

Fax: (408) 993-4009