Family Self-Sufficiency Program for Housing Choice Voucher Participants
Create a better future for your family. Join a self-sufficiency program that pays you to make more money. The Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program provides you with support and resources to help you meet your personal goals.Join the FSS Program
What is the Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Program?
It’s a free and voluntary program for families with a Housing Choice Voucher. With guidance and support from LifeSTEPS, the Housing Authority's social services partner, it will help increase your household's income and achieve personal goals related to employment, education, and finances. FSS also offers a financial incentive for Housing Choice Voucher participants.
How It Works
During your participation in the FSS program, when your earned income and rent portion increase, SCCHA will make monthly deposits into your savings account. After you meet your personal goals and complete the FSS program, your savings will be awarded to you.
Join the hundreds of families who use FSS to save money and meet their personal goals.
Here are questions commonly asked about the program.
The typical contract is five years. Participants have successfully completed the program in 2-3 years.
Requirements to graduate the FSS program successfully:
- Seek and maintain suitable employment.
- Independent of welfare assistance by the end of FSS contract.
- All activities on the participant's Individual Training Services Plan (goal plan) have been completed and supported with proper documentation.
Yes! Our program grads and current enrollees are earning more money and graduating school, and changing their lives for the better. Take a look at the great progress families are making:
- 303 families increased their income from $20,345 to $55,486
- 14 families left housing assistance within 14 months after graduation
- 3 years 10 months was the average time it took to complete the program