In 2008 SCCHA was selected by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to be part of the Moving to Work (MTW) demonstration program. Created by Congress in 1996, the MTW designation provides SCCHA the flexibility to develop local approaches to meet the specific needs of low-income families in Santa Clara County. The three MTW statutory goals established by Congress are:
- Decrease administrative costs and increase cost effectiveness in housing program operations,
- Promote participants’ economic self-sufficiency, and
- Expand participants’ housing choices.
Information on the activities and outcomes of SCCHA efforts under the MTW program can be found here.
All households assisted through the following programs are administered using MTW program flexibility:
- Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) or Section 8
- Family Unification Program (FUP)
- Non-Elderly Disabled Voucher (NED)
- Mainstream (select Mainstream voucher increments)
- Project Based Voucher (PBV)
- Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH), with exceptions – not all MTW flexibilities apply.
For More Information
To learn more about the MTW program, including a list of all housing authorities currently designated as MTW demonstration sites, please visit the HUD website